For many small business owners, writing blog posts is a chore because it takes too long. Others can create content rather quickly, but struggle instead with subject matter. Knowing what to write about is often a huge sticking point for small business bloggers. But choosing a topic can be really easy and fast. Here are five ways to create a topic list for your small business blog:
- Ask your audience. What better way to find out what they want to know then by asking them? Social media is a great tool for this. Tweet your followers, post status updates on Facebook and invite comments and replies, allowing people to suggest topics and let you know what they want to learn.
- Repurpose old content. Do you sell any ebooks? Each heading in your table of contents can become a blog post. If you’ve ever given a workshop, you can use your outline or slides to create topics.
- Extend your FAQ page. If you have a list of Frequently Asked Questions, you can turn each into a blog post and expand on each of those ideas.
- List the features of your product or service. Then turn each feature into a benefit for the customer, and write a blog post about each of those benefits.
- Keeping a running topic list on your phone or in a notebook. Then when you’re on the bus, on a plane or waiting for a customer in a coffee shop, you can use that time to either expand on your topic list or write some of the posts when it’s not convenient or possible to do any other type of work.
Using a couple of these tips can help you create a long list of topics for blog posts so you always have something ready to write about and you can stop scratching your head and staring at a blank screen!